Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Turkey Burgers

This was my version of the New England Turkey Burger with the Works, from the October 2006 issue of Every Day With Rachael Ray. Basically I tried to follow the recipe, using what I had on hand. For the burger, I had bought a box of Jenni-O turkey burger patties. Since they were pre-formed, I couldn’t add the apple but I sprinkled a little poultry seasoning on top. For the topping, I didn’t have green onions so I put some chopped regular onion on top along with some homemade cranberry sauce. I love Thanksgiving leftovers and this sort of reminded me of that. I’ll definitely be making this again, especially since I have 11 turkey burgers left in the freezer! It was one of those days when a bargain is not really a bargain if you are stuck with more than you want. I usually eat Boca Burgers but got tired of them, and was looking for a change. Next time I’ll try grilling or pan frying the burger. I had used the sizzle pan in the microwave and you can see that the patty turned out anemic-looking, even though it was cooked through. The apple part sounds good, I’ll probably mix some in with the cranberry sauce instead of with the meat.

There was another article about Paula Deen in the Wall Street Journal on Saturday! The topic was restaurants and celebrity chefs. The journalist was disappointed because after the long wait in line, he felt he could have gotten a better meal at another restaurant. Some of the charm had been lost when the restaurant was expanded from 85 seats to the bigger version (I can’t remember the exact figure, I want to think it is 350 seats). If/when I make a trip to Savannah, I still would like to try her restaurant, just to say I’ve been there.

No comments: