Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Catching up

This week’s grocery circular for Brookshires has an ad for "Paula Deen Live" in Bossier City, LA. It’s on June 2nd, at 11AM and 4PM. I looked on Ticketmaster and tickets top out at $65 but there were none available on the floor. There were other dates booked for Dallas (August) and I think Tennessee. While I was at Super 1 today, the overhead announcement had a commercial for it. I wonder what she will be doing? It kind of sounded like cooking (duh)…but for $65? Or maybe she will talk about her new autobiography. Bossier City is just a little closer to me than Dallas, I kind of doubt I will go but I’m going to keep my ears open to find out more info.

I’ve tried a few new recipes but nothing that seems worth blogging about. I tried the Boston Cream Mini-cupcakes in the Kraft magazine. They turned out really cute (photo above) and were a hit when I brought them over for dessert at an impromptu lunch. They look more glamorous than regular cupcakes. I tried baking egg rolls from Everyday Food (vs. frying) but they turned out really chewy. The article said that frying vs. baking has about the same calories. Anyway, now I have a bunch of egg roll wrappers left. Today’s Dallas Morning News has a whole section with 20 recipes using Stouffers Spinach Souffle, including one for manicotti. I’m going to use some of the wrappers to make that.

Mostly I’m on magazine overload. I get too many. Being a cookbook junkie doesn’t help. I almost feel like I need to come up with a schedule, cook from Magazine A one week, Cookbook B the next, etc. That would probably take a lot of the fun out of it. I guess my solution will be to cut down my subscriptions, when renewal time comes around. I renewed to Gourmet but tend to let those pile up. Rachael’s magazine comes so fast & furious. I got the April issue one week, and then the May issue just one week later.

Last night I made Rachael’s Ravioli Lasagna for the second time. I had a bunch of bits & pieces of ingredients to use up (turkey Italian sausage, cheese, celery, mushrooms, etc.). I had thought about just making marinara sauce and serving it over the ravioli, but I think the casserole is actually better, even though it’s the same ingredients.


(I just finished reading the rest of the Dallas paper. Big news. Saturday, Cat Cora is signing copies of her new book, Cooking From the Hip: Fast, Easy, Phenomenal Meals, at Sur La Table. On Monday, Giada DeLaurentiis signs her book, Everyday Pasta, at Borders at the corner of Preston Road and Royal Lane. Then Tuesday, Robin Miller is teaching a class at Central Market. I would LOVE to meet Giada but the snippet suggests arriving before the store even opens at 9AM, for the 6PM signing...I don't think I'm enough of a groupie to do that.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Di (and Debbie), I'm delurking myself and wanted to say I love following your foodie adventures. I have the same problem with magazine and cookbook overload, but I also have exercise magazines in the mix. It's really hard since I'm a librarian and have access to many more magazines that I don't subscribe to. I've decided to buy what our library doesn't carry and then just go through and photocopy the recipes for the rest. Cheers and happy cooking.