Friday, May 18, 2007

Peanut Butter Balls

Hi, Debbie here. I haven't posted in awhile as I have been taking an extended break from family food prep, but I felt prompted to share this recipe.

In Paula Deen's new book, “Paula Deen: It Ain’t All About the Cookin’,” she reminisces with great fondness about the peanut butter balls her school cafeteria used to serve, along with vegetable soup, on Fridays. Then she proceeds to brag about finally getting the recipe but doesn't include it in the book!

I found it online though at foodnetwork.com and made it last night. Here it is, in it's entirety:

1 cup of honey
1 cup of peanut butter
2 cups of dried powdered milk

Stir together, form into walnut-sized balls and chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. I left mine plain but you can roll them in all manner of things. PD suggests corn flakes, powdered sugar or crushed nuts. How about coconut, mini carob chips or choc. chips, bran cereal, etc.?

I was afraid that the honey would make it too sweet but it was perfect. Perfect golden balls of rolled up peanut butter that hold their shape and are an excellent accompaniment to soup, salads, chili, whatever.

Can you guess that I'm a peanut butter aficionado? You know that question - if you had to choose one food to take on a deserted island, what would it be? Guess what my answer is. An Italian friend once told me that the only correct answer to that question would be pasta. Pasta? A food product that is basically flour and water mixed together? No way. But one could live (and thrive!) on peanut butter.

1 comment:

Di said...

I've had a peanut butter & jelly sandwich in the middle of nowhere. We were on Aitutaki in the Cook Islands. The hotel provided breakfast and dinner, but we were on our own for lunch. Sometimes you don't want a big deal just to get something to eat so we went to the local grocery shack and got bread, peanut butter & jelly. We got several meals from it with little worry about getting sick from the food.