Sunday, May 14, 2006

Broccoli with Toasted Garlic

I wanted broccoli for a side dish to go with some filets from Omaha Steak that Don's daughter had sent to him for his birthday. My "beef," if you will, is that he likes his broccoli swimming in butter. To me that completely negates any healthy aspect of eating veggies. I've been watching some of the other Food Network personalities and saw a preparation that sounded healthy. It was on "Healthy Appetites with Ellie Krieger." She made broccoli with toasted garlic, the garlic was toasted in a small amount of olive oil, then the cooked broccoli was added to the garlic infused oil, with the garlic chips sprinkled on top. Don isn't a garlic fan but he tried it, and didn't much care for it. I thought it was delicious, the garlic complimented the broccoli, and the small amount of fat keeps it all healthy. I like her show, the way she explains anecdotes about why certain foods are good, what nutritional value they have. It adds another dimension to a cooking show, so it's not just all "how to."

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Re: Don's broccoli - swimming in butter. I find that if I cook some veggies in beef or chicken broth, they come out with a very nice flavor, especially brussel sprouts cooked in beef broth. That might work with broccoli. But carrots sure do taste good cooked in butter.