Saturday, May 06, 2006

Buttermilk Pecan Pie

Our local electric co-op publishes a magazine with "country" recipes. This month’s issue had buttermilk pecan pie. It’s more of a chess pie than a pecan pie. I looked at Paula’s cookbook and she has a recipe for a lemon chess pie that is pretty similar, except it has lemon in it, and milk instead of buttermilk. Most of the recipes I saw call for the same amount of sugar - 2 cups. Anyway, the pecan recipe calls for sprinkling ½ cup of pecans in the bottom of a pie shell (I had some leftover toasted coconut so I added that too), then mixing together sugar, buttermilk, butter, eggs, vanilla, flour and salt together and pouring it all over the nuts. The topping gets a crunchy crust on it as it bakes.

I think it’s one of those things that you either like or you don’t. I liked it, Don thought it might be better tomorrow after it refrigerates, but he likes "regular" pecan pie better.

Blackberries are coming on strong out here. Tomorrow I’m going to make pancakes or waffles, and make a berry compote to put on top. I got the recipe from Rachael’s Pain Perdue recipe from an old "30 Minute Meals." The berries make you feel like you’re eating something healthy, along with the 800 calorie waffles.

No comments: