Saturday, April 29, 2006

Deviled Ham a la Rachael and Debbie

The ham we had the other night was good but just a tad salty for something like a sandwich. Debbie had suggested ham salad. I remember a "30 Minute Meals" episode where Rachael made one of her mug toppers for soup, with deviled ham. I took what I remembered from that episode and combined it with Debbie’s recipe, put chunked ham in the food processor with some onion and ground it up, then mixed in mayonnaise to get it to spreading consistency. Rachael is always talking about how "it’s the method, not the ingredients" as far as adlibbing recipes with what you have on hand or what your personal preferences are. After-the-fact I looked online and saw her recipe has paprika and hot sauce, and no mayo, but yellow mustard to thin out the mixture. I did put mustard on my sandwich but spread it on the bread instead of mixing it in. Anyway, it turned out yummy. "Diluting" the ham by making it into a salad helped with the saltiness.

No comments: