Saturday, January 27, 2007

Mini Meatball and Broken Spaghetti Tomato Stoup

It must be that time of year where people want something comforting, as I’ve read a few other bloggers posts about this same recipe. It was featured on the Rachael Ray Show, as well as in the November issue of the magazine.

I did a "kitchen sink" approach to the recipe, aka clean out the refrigerator, so I added some chopped celery to the vegetables, used ground turkey instead of ground beef, and fresh chopped spinach instead of parsley. For Don I threw in some chopped green and black olives and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes.

Otherwise, I pretty much followed the recipe. It took a little longer than 12 minutes for the spaghetti to cook, and in the process, some of the liquid evaporated (even though I had a lid on the pot). In fact, it was almost like risotto, in that I’d add a splash of water, and when I checked on it, the liquid had absorbed so I had to add more. In the end, it wasn’t like a soup or a stew or a stoup even, just more like plain spaghetti. The main thing was that it tasted good!

What I’d do differently next time…even though I used thin spaghetti, I’d use something thinner like angel hair or Mexican fideo pasta. Or just boil the pasta separately.

I have a few meatballs leftover so I’m going to see if I can use them in Chicken Parm Subs. I’m anxious to try something from the 2,4,6,8 cookbook.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

The Stoup looks good. I found a recipe for some delicous looking muffins in my Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Cooking Light book. They use carrot baby food and coconut and I think I'll try making those this week. I'll let you know how they turn out!