Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Oven-Baked Corn Dogs

This was on TV not too long ago, from Rachael’s "365" cookbook. I’m all for anything that is a non-fried alternative to my favorite junk foods. I only made half the recipe, since the package of hotdogs I had came in two resealable packages. Rachael’s recipe (for the whole batch) calls for 2 boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix and 1 ¼ to 1 1/3 cups of milk, plus oil and eggs, so for half the recipe (1 box) the milk required would be just over ½ a cup. The recipe for the muffins on the box calls for 1/3 cup of liquid, which is less. Unfortunately I threw everything into the bowl before I started mixing it up, I should have added the liquid gradually. The batter was a lot thinner than what was on TV, in fact, almost like pancake batter. I didn’t have another box of Jiffy mix to thicken the mess up so I added a small amount of cornmeal and flour. I didn’t want to mess with it too much for fear of throwing off the leavening. The batter still slid off the hotdogs into a puddle. I noticed that the remaining batter (incidentally there was enough for the whole package of hotdogs, even with the recipe halved) that had been sitting in the bowl for about 15 minutes, had thickened. If I were to make this again, I’d let it sit a little before dipping the hotdogs.

Anyway, my end result did not look anything like on TV or the photo in the cookbook. It still tasted good, though. I heated up a can of Hormel chili and put some of that on top like a sauce. The breading was tasty, I will have to remember to use the same seasonings for regular cornbread.

The Emeril cookbook I had given to my nephew had a similar oven-baked corn dog recipe, except he used one of those cast-iron muffin pans with the corn-shaped molds. That would have worked with this recipe too, and looked more appetizing.

I didn’t make the O&V slaw since Don doesn’t like cole slaw. Recently I had some broccoli slaw from a local deli, and it was even better than cabbage slaw. So instead I grated up two broccoli "stumps" I had in the refrigerator, and put some homemade cole slaw dressing on it (mayo, vinegar and sugar). I learned that the packaged broccoli slaw you see in the store is a good value! It took forever to peel the stems and grate them, and I only got about half a cup of shreds.

I got my "Every Day" magazine today. It’s so vibrant, it’s fun flipping through it. There’s a jazzed up s’more recipe in there that looks to-die for. I loved seeing what’s in Diane Sawyer’s fridge. I didn’t know she is a southern girl. She seems down-to-earth, even bringing her own lunch to work.

1 comment:

Di said...

I had quite a bit of batter leftover so I put it in the refrigerator. It had thickened considerably the next day. I also had leftover chili, and ended up making corn cakes (like pancakes), like what Rachael calls "mug toppers" and it turned out yummy.