Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Pecan Pie Bars

My latest obsession is bar cookies, since they are so easy to throw together. This one is from Paula Deen’s "Too" cookbook. The crust is a cake mix mixture (cake mix, butter, egg), and the filling is basic pecan pie (a little of the cake mixture reserved, corn syrup, vanilla, egg, pecans). It looked like a pecan pie when it came out of the oven. The cakey crust gives it more of an ooey-gooey brownie texture. If you like pecan pie, you will like this cookie. I put a squirt of whipped cream on mine! Yum. We watched "The Matador" the other night and in one scene, they are eating pecan pie "naked" - that is, with no whipped cream. I guess it’s a matter of personal preference but for me, I hafta have it. Anyway, this would be a great cookie to take to a pot luck. It’s almost like a pecan pie that you can eat with your hands.

Speaking of Paula, I loved her "Paula’s European Vacation" that was on this past weekend. I’ve only been to Paris once, I’d love to go again. I think it is even more the mystique and glamour of it that appeals to me. When I was there I experienced some of the "snobbery" that you hear about (or to be fair, maybe it is just a difference in cultures). I loved seeing places to eat that weren’t Michelin Star restaurants for the rich and famous. I was crying at the end when her family surprised her. Debbie is so much like that, she is always thinking of her family even when she is away from them.

No comments: