Friday, August 11, 2006

Chili-Rubbed Steak Tacos

Between me and my husband, I’m definitely the more adventurous eater. Not in terms of trying exotic foods, rather trying something different. Don has his favorites and doesn't like to change the menu or the recipe. The regular tacos I make, I take chuck roast and put it in the crock pot with some taco mix, salsa, and onions, then cook it until the meat shreds easily. I wanted something more like fajitas so this recipe from Ellie Krieger looked good to me.

I wasn’t too sure about how the cinnamon would taste so I only put half the amount called for. I looked at the spices for fajitas in another cookbook I have, called the "Tex-Mex Cookbook," and they all pretty much have chili powder, garlic and salt. Ellie’s recipe doesn’t say what temperature or how hot a grill to cook the meat on, so Don set it at 350.

I liked it, thought it would be better cooked at a higher temperature so the outside is more crispy. I didn’t much care for the cinnamon. Maybe because I knew it was in there, I was more aware of the flavor. I already had pre-made guacamole so I didn’t make the Avocado Lime Salsa, but I did chop up some cucumber - that was surprisingly good.

Don didn’t like it, my heart fell when he said, "I like regular tacos better. Don’t ever make this again." It can be frustrating cooking for a picky eater!!! Arrrgh.

Changing the subject, I just finished the audiobook for "Julie and Julia." It seemed a little different than the blog (which I’ve only skimmed through). I had read reviews saying there was too much drinking and swearing, and although there were both in the book, I wouldn’t have paid attention to it. There’s way more drinking and swearing in say, Robert DeNiro movies. I loved how Julie Powell’s personality seemed to come through, especially with the audiobook, since she read it herself.

When she talked about hearing Julia Child’s comments about her blog, that reminded me of how I think Barry Manilow must think of me. He goes on in his life and "fan club" must seem like an annoying mosquito buzzing around him that he can’t ignore. Yet I’ve spent a lot of time and effort and years keeping the local club going. Just like Julie had kept her blog going, only to find out that Julia was not exactly what you would call an admirer. Anyway - I do wish him well with his upcoming bilateral hip surgery he is having in a few weeks. And I hope he wins that Emmy!

No comments: