Saturday, August 26, 2006

Recipe #252 - Croque Monsieur

Tonight we had grilled ham and cheese sandwiches for dinner. I've been wanting to get more back on track with cooking Rachael's recipes, and I remembered her croque monsieur sandwiches from TV. The recipe is in her "365" book. I used some leftover mornay sauce from the Bobby Flay breakfast sandwiches, the sauce is very similar to the bechamel in Rachael’s recipe. I put marbled colby jack cheese on it instead of swiss/gruyere. So, the sandwich was pretty much sauce, cheese, ham, and the bread spread with butter and grated cheese on the outside. I love how the outside turned all crunchy from the cheese. It added lots of flavor. Next time I’ll add more sauce. I’d put on a thick schmear but when the sandwich heated up, it kind of melted into the bread. It made the sandwich moist without being greasy, very rich tasting. The recipe in the "Gourmet" cookbook is similar but they put more sauce on the outside of the sandwich and ran it under the broiler. I had a sandwich more like that, at La Madeleine in Dallas, and while it was good, it was almost too decadent and rich. I like Rachael’s cheese-crusted version better! Don just came in and asked me how many calories I thought the sandwich had. He put mayonnaise on his as well, so I told him his probably had at least 1000. I still feel that what we cook at home is better and better for you than what you would get at a restaurant.

No comments: