Thursday, August 03, 2006

Triple Chocolate Cookies


These looked good on TV, on Ellie Krieger’s "Healthy Appetites." I think a lot of what she cooks both sound and look more appetizing because of how she describes things. For example, these cookies were on an episode about ingredients that were once bad for you, that are now considered good. She brings up chocolate, and how the flavenoids "sweep away the toxins." It makes chocolate sound downright healthy. Don was watching with me, and she went on about wine and how men can have 2 glasses a day, women are allowed 1. Next thing you know he is opening up a bottle of wine. Mighty is the power of suggestion.

Anyway, half the fat in these cookies is from butter, the other half from canola oil. I used that Smart Balance oil that is a combination of canola, soy and olive. I don’t have whole wheat pastry flour so I used regular whole wheat.

I baked them in my toaster oven and they got too burned on the bottom, but I'm sure they'd be better in a regular oven. It's just too darn hot right now. They were good, more cakey than brownie-like. I was wondering how they'd turn out because the only leavening in them is egg, no baking powder or soda. I only made 6, like Ellie did, and rolled the rest of the dough into two small logs (I figure each log will make a dozen cookies), and put them in the freezer. Next time it’s cool enough to bake I’ll make some more, or I might try my microwave that has a halogen light for browning.

The cookies were tasty, not overpowering on the chocolate, just the right balance. She mentioned taking them out even though they don’t look done, and I think that’s an important point, otherwise they will be too dry. I’ll definitely be making these again. I like that the whole recipe makes only 2 dozen, it’s small enough to throw together a small batch. Sometimes I make a bunch of cookies and freeze them. These are the kind that are good still warm from the oven, all ooey gooey.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Your food photography is getting really professional! A new career in the making?