Thursday, August 03, 2006

Meatballs with Sage

Earlier this week Rachael made a cheese menu with veal meatballs & sage, with a gorgonzola walnut sauce. She suggested substituting chicken for the veal. For dinner last night, I had some turkey (still poultry) meatballs I had frozen, so I chopped up some fresh sage and mixed it in. Don said he doesn’t like gorgonzola so I made a cream of celery sauce instead (can of Campbell’s with half a can of water). The moment I started chopping the sage, it smelled like Thanksgiving. I had about 15 meatballs and put in 6 chopped sage leaves. It was a little strong. The herb sure perked up the meatballs, they were really good. It would go well in a meatloaf too.

I also pan fried a couple of sage leaves for garnish, I’d seen that in a magazine or on TV somewhere. That didn’t taste as good on its own but it looked nice.

Since I didn't make the cheese sauce, I served everything on brown basmati rice. Don, who has endured all of my cooking experiments, was saying the other day that he thinks with Rachael's recipes you definitely have to adjust the recipes to ingredients you like. I'm kind of torn. I agree to a certain extent, except how do you know if a recipe is good unless you try it at face value. That's how you discover things you don't know you might like.

No comments: