Thursday, July 12, 2007

Baked Jalapeno Poppers

Last week Rachael made baked jalapeno poppers on her show. Jalapenos are one of the few produce items here that are very inexpensive. I liked the idea that they are baked and not fried, and have spices to flavor them up. Most of the pre-fab ones I’ve tried are pretty much just plain cream cheese inside, with the pepper providing the kick & flavor.

These have cream cheese with manchego (no way I can find that here so I used a Mexican cheese blend), the chopped up tops, green olives, and some spices. They were great, the flavor of the peppers really came through. This was a good example of what a difference fresh ingredients makes. The only thing I’d do differently is cut off less of the top so that the filling is more contained, to prevent it from oozing out the sides. I had a few leftover and I put them on a black bean veggie burger. Delish!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pampered Chef has a great recipe in their lite cookbook. They are stuffed with cream cheese and cheddar cheese(and a lttle dried oregano). They are then dipped in egg and rolled in crushed corn flakes and then baked. Also, they are cut in half before filling so one pepper is really two servings.