Sunday, July 22, 2007

Less Than An Hour To Go!

I’m sitting here with an hour to go before the big finale of the "Next Food Network Star." I watched some of the reruns today and found them interesting now that we know more about the people. I’m especially intrigued by everyday things like what do chefs eat when they have to cook for themselves. I’ve seen a lot of cereal. Amy made lattes at least twice, and cleaned up after herself. On Top Chef, one of the chefs (I think it’s the one from Dallas) eats a lot of sandwiches, but they look like they’re from a deli.

The whole chef thing is intriguing. Do they make blue box macaroni & cheese for their kids? Or is it from scratch? What is it with the knives? Where do they get them and what makes them different than the Wustof’s I have in my kitchen. Why do so many of them claim to have sophisticated palates, yet they are smokers? Can people with sophisticated palates enjoy a meal at McDonalds? (By the way, the "Top Chef" episode on Bravo where they prepared a tasting dinner for a "club" of people with "sophisticated palates" made me think, give me a break…but I guess that’s why I’m not a chef.)

Anyway…this past week I’ve been going through my pantry and using some items I originally bought to have on hand as emergency dinner staples. One was a can of Rotel that had a use by date of June. I had forgotten I had it. So that made me look through what else I had and I found a can of sweetened condensed milk. I ended up making Spanish Rice and a pudding pie with those ingredients. My latest project is to try to use up some of the staples so that I can rotate and buy new items. I have a short attention span when it comes to planning meals. Sometimes I’ll think of something and buy the ingredients, then forget about it and move on to something else. This week’s project will be cooking up green beans (which can’t be put off since they’re fresh, unless I can them). Hubby likes them Southern-style, cooked to death with bacon and onions. I also have a surplus of tomatoes and basil. With that, I want to make either a panzanella or the Orzo Salad I saw on a recent "Everyday Italian" episode.

I’m kicking myself that I didn’t go out yesterday and buy the Harry Potter book. I went online and saw that my local library is getting it so I put a hold on it, but who knows how long that will take. I could be reading it right now!

No comments: