Friday, June 22, 2007

Fusilli (Penne) with Spinach and Asiago Cheese

Earlier this week Debbie had told me about a dish she saw on Giada’s "Everyday Italian" show, that had fusilli and spinach. This was one of those recipes that I could tell I would like it just by looking at the ingredients. Garlic is sauteed in olive oil and then spinach and tomatoes are added, then cheese, pasta, and some of the cooking water. I didn’t have fusilli so I substituted penne. I also didn’t have enough tomatoes but used what I had. If I had sun-dried tomatoes in the pantry, I would have thrown some in too. Adding the spinach to the garlic kind of kept the flavor subtle, although next time I’d use even more since I LOVE garlic. One of the restaurants Debbie & I went to when we lived in the same area, was called "Magic Garlic." Next time I make plain old spinach I'm going to add garlic and asiago cheese, instead of butter. Anyway, I didn’t read the instructions completely and didn’t chop my spinach - you can tell by the clump in the picture. In the end it all tasted good, though. Hubby didn’t say anything - which in some ways is a compliment since it wasn’t a complaint. I didn’t tell him it is a Giada recipe. Maybe I should have, since he watches "Weekend Getaways" with me now.

For dessert I made spice cupcakes from a Better Homes & Gardens baking cookbook that my Mom had given me. I frosted them with 7 minute frosting (basically egg white & sugar, with a smidge of water, corn syrup and cream of tartar), using brown sugar instead of white. Homemade is so much better than a box. Nigella made cupcakes recently, but hers were plain and I wanted something with more of a flavor to them. These had cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, and the cake was light, not like gingerbread. Yum. I still want to try Nigella’s recipe. Will let you know how that turns out.

No comments: