Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Rice Pudding, Part II

I had been so disappointed with the rice pudding I made last week, since it seemed to have potential and the problem I had was due to my own error of overcooking it. I tried it again, still using the crockpot, but watching it carefully towards the end. It came out better, although it doesn’t look like Paula’s from TV (hers looked more custardy). It looks completely different from the last batch I made, though! I think I’ll try it one more time, and only stir it once, after the first hour, then let the custard set during the second hour.

When I was at the grocery store this weekend, I got a sample of Kozy Shack no-sugar rice pudding. YUM. I’d love to be able to make a homemade pudding that tastes like that. The store-bought kind seems more like rice mixed into vanilla pudding.

To completely change the subject, have you been watching "The Next Foodnetwork Star"? The first week, I was rooting for Paul. I liked his wedding cake the best, especially his personal touch of the two grooms to top it off. I thought that showed an expression of his personality and individuality. Maybe it’s too early, that nobody really seems to exude a sense of who they are and what they want to express with their food. This week, Adrien started to grow on me. He did a good job with his on camera stint.

What I’d love to see is someone who has a concept that is new. Not something that reminds me of an existing Foodnetwork Star. I made "ants on a log" for lunch yesterday (celery stuffed with peanut butter and raisins scattered on top)…and I got to thinking that I’d love to see a show dedicated to kid-friendly food. The "Cook With Your Kids" week on the network is fun to watch. It’s too bad it’s only a week. I’d like to see a high school student from a technical school as a contestant, or a senior citizen preparing healthy meals on a budget (confronting issues older people face, like reducing sodium and sugar), or a vegetarian who comes up with entrees that aren’t side dishes, like the bride wanted at her wedding. It’ll be interesting to see the contestants’ personalities and styles emerge as the series continues.

No comments: