Monday, June 04, 2007

Rice Pudding

I’m completely frustrated and disappointed

Today I had the Food Network on while doing some ironing. Paula’s Home Cooking had inexpensive meals, including a mouthwatering rice pudding. It looked so good! I had all the ingredients and it was early enough to make it, so I did. The only difference was that I put it in a crock pot instead of baking it in the oven.

I mixed it all up and put it in the crockpot. I stirred it after an hour, it was still watery and I was wondering if it would take 2-3 hours like the most of the recipes in the Fix It and Forget It cookbook said (I used that for a guideline). After another hour, I stirred again, the edges were set and the middle was watery. Another 45 minutes went by, and all the liquid was absorbed. My heart sank. It was now overdone. I should have turned off the heat after 2 hours and let the remaining heat carry over and finish it off. Then it would have been perfect. At that point it looked almost like Paula’s, yellow and creamy. What I ended up with was disintegrated rice.


Hubby wanted more raisins too, so what I made has way more raisins than I care for. And of course, he doesn’t like it. Inevitably that’s what happens. I configure a recipe to his tastes, he doesn’t like it, and then I’m stuck with a bunch of whatever, not how I would like it. And guess who ends up eating it. Arrrgh. I’m tempted to try it again tomorrow. It was one of those things that I had within my grasp and it slipped away.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I don't think that crockpot recipes should have an expiration time. That happened to me with some creamy mushroom risotto of Giada's that I made. Suddenly it was perfect - about an hour and a half before we ate. By the time we ate, it was overdone. The whole idea of crockpots is to be able to keep food warm indefinately until people are ready to eat it.

Di said...

That's what I thought, I had some leeway with the crockpot. Maybe it's the rice that's temperamental. Anyway, I salvaged the pudding by making some instant Jello vanilla pudding and mixing it in.