Saturday, April 22, 2006

Corn Casserole and Cherry Cream Cheese Pie

We had a belated Easter dinner last night since it was 90 degrees here on Easter. Don tried "baking" it on the propane grill outside last night, since it was cooler but still in the 80’s. We’d never done this before. I put the ham in a Reynold’s oven bag and we cooked the ham until it was 140 inside. It looked a little blackened and the twist-tie on the oven bag melted. Next time I think I will use aluminum foil or a foil bag so I don’t get as many carcinogens baked in. Anyway, it actually tasted fine and was moist.

To go along with the ham, Carol made scalloped potatoes, and I made Paula’s Corn Casserole (which Debbie had recommended, and I’d read good reviews of online). I was disappointed with the corn, it was too sweet for my liking, and it was mushy in the middle. I don't think I baked it long enough plus I put it in a small, tall pan, and I think a wide, flat pan (like a pie plate) would have worked better. I’m going to try making corncakes with the leftovers by shaping them into patties and browning them in a little butter.

For dessert, Gary made jello with bananas, and I made another Paula dessert, her Cherry Cream Cheese Pie. This was a bigger hit than the corn casserole. Gary thought it was really rich and the pie filling put it over the top. Don’s Mom makes a similar pie with lemon pudding mix and cream cheese that is lighter in texture. Don was surprised, he thought it was better than he’d expected. Unlike Debbie I don’t have a lemon tree in my backyard so I ended up using lemon juice from one of those lemon-shaped bottles. The fresh lemons at the store looked rotten. Next time I’ll just use lime juice, since I can get a big bag of key limes for $2 at Walmart.

(Rant: I don’t know why some things are so expensive and others are so cheap! The fresh, rotten lemons were going for 50 cents apiece. I can buy a giant bunch of cilantro for less than 50 cents yet a grapefruit grown in Texas is nearly a dollar, and cheaper in California even after it is shipped all the way there.)

No comments: