Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I'm A Pig

Last night we had unexpected guests for dinner. Actually, they had warned us they might stop by but we didn't think they'd actually do it, so hadn't prepared. So on my way home from work I find out that Brenna & her daughter Sara are actually putting in an appearance on their drive home from the grand canyon. Soooooo, I grabbed all this food that had been sitting in the fridge and had to be cooked before it went bad. It was a comedy of errors. I was scolded by everyone for making too much spinach dip, the pizza appetizers were too gooey and stuck to the pan, the grill turned out to be out of propane, so I had to broil the steaks, Brenna had unexpectedly sworn off red meat, so I also made some chicken strips, which were too dry. It was way too much and none of it appetizing looking at all. As we sat there glumly poking at our food, I wondered why it's so difficult to produce one of the wonderful meals I'd been making lately on short notice. Another thing I'm bad at is figuring out how much to make. For the 2 of us, I always cook enough for five, so if I'd made the normal amount it would have turned out swell. Instead I ended up making enough for 10.

No comments: