Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Coconut Macaroons

This is a Paula Deen recipe, it caught my eye on TV because the egg whites were beaten so that the cookie batter was fluffy. Her recipe calls for almond extract but I used vanilla, and I threw in some mini chocolate chips instead of having to deal with dipping them in melted chocolate. I baked them in the toaster oven. They browned on the bottom faster than on top, you can see the one I turned over in the photo, that looks like a latke. Mine didn’t turn out as fluffy as Paula’s did, when I folded in the egg whites the batter kind of got deflated. I think my coconut was too old and dry, not moist enough, so it required more mixing and handling. Still tasted good, though.

I watched Guy’s show on Sunday, and enjoyed it. I want to try his tater tot recipe, and his grilled romaine salad looked good too. I’m sure he was nervous, sometimes he would "talk to himself" too much (I noticed that because I catch myself doing the same thing) and said "OK" a lot, but he managed to get his personality through. I didn’t like how grey and blah-looking the background of his kitchen is. And I was wondering if it is some legal thing that all Food Network folks have to emphasize hand-washing after handling meat. I know it’s a good thing to know and practice, but it seems like they almost "showcase" it.

No comments: