Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Everything Lo Mein

Tonight we had "Everything Lo Mein" which was on "30 Minute Meals" last night. I had a bit of leftover angel hair pasta, and for the rest of the veggies I used what I had on hand (mushrooms, broccoli, snap peas, green onions, garlic), plus leftover pork chop, and Morningstar Farms Veggie Steak Strips. Don insisted I include the egg too. Instead of scrambling it, I make it like a crepe and then slice it into ribbons, and I didn’t use nearly as much oil as Rachael did. I also threw in a few frozen pot stickers.

For the sauce, I went by Rachael’s recipe & proportions, and used 1 tbsp. (since it was not a whole batch) of hoisin sauce, 1 tbsp. of soy sauce, 1 tbsp. Water, a liberal squirt of Sriracha (instead of Tabasco) plus a dash of sesame oil and about half a teaspoon of chopped ginger. The sesame oil and ginger are, to me, key ingredients and add that "authentic" flavor.

Don had not been too keen on the recipe when I told him what we were having for dinner, but in the end he pronounced it "pretty good." I get burned out on salad so I liked that this was an alternative way to get my veggies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am trying to make lo mein taste like in chinese restaurant. i wonder if your lo mein taste like restaurant's lo mein? what brand of sauce did you use?

Di said...

I used Koon Chun brand hoisin sauce, that is what was available here. It didn't taste like lo mein you would find in a Chinese restaurant, it was more the sort of taste of the food at the Yan Can chain restaurant (more American Chinese). I think it would be better with Chinese noodles instead of pasta, too.