Monday, June 05, 2006

Sloppy Joes

Cooking with Rachael and Friends This weekend I watched a burger episode of the Paula Deen show and she made the southern version of sloppy joes. I couldn't stop thinking about them, so ran out tonight and bought the ingredients. It was so quick & easy that I had dinner made by the time Kate finished putting the groceries away! I fried up some ground beef, added some flour, a can of french onion soup, spread some mustard on 4 slices of bread and put some cut up sweet onions on two of the slices. I scooped up the ground beef mixture on those pieces, put the other slices on top and * voila * two southern sloppy joe sandwiches! They were really good, we gobbled them right up, flirted briefly with the thought of having seconds, but decided to behave. Mmmm. Kate thought that the onion slices should have been fried up, but there are little bits of onion in the soup. I have to confess, the one item I thought we had for sure - mustard - we didn't. But we had dijon and it tasted mustardly enough. Very, very good for a quick, hearty dinner. Paula also made tuna burgers on that show and I bought the ingredients to make that too. I found the tuna burger recipe in one of her cookbooks but have only seen the sloppy joe recipe on TV. In another episode this weekend, she made fried doughnuts out of canned biscuits. I can't wait to try those!

No comments: