Monday, March 27, 2006

Dixieland Pork Chops

This one is a Paula recipe. Instead of cheddar cheese soup I used Fiesta Nacho Cheese. It looked too thick so I put about 1/3 can of milk in the sauce. The sauce tasted yummy, I may make it by itself to put on broccoli or other veggies. I wasn’t sure if you are supposed to cover the baking dish while it is baking. I put the casserole in the oven, uncovered, and after about 15 minutes the top started to dry out so I ended up covering it with foil. By the time it was done, it was saucy. It may have been OK without.

The pork chops were just OK. They were tender, but I didn't think the sauce matched that great with them. Maybe it was my substitution for the plain cheddar cheese soup. Don thought maybe it will be better tomorrow.

I make a lot of things with Campbell’s soup and this was sort of like the Glorified Chicken recipe we like. That recipe calls for cream of mushroom (or chicken) and I also throw in a can of cream of celery. The sauce and chicken simmer in a covered skillet for about 35 minutes. It can be baked in the oven, but with the skillet method there is one less dish to clean.

I’m currently reading "Will Write for Food: The Complete Guide to Writing Cookbooks, Restaurant Reviews, Articles, Memoir, Fiction and More…" by Dianne Jacob. I’m on the chapter about writing recipes. The author of this book mentions that "Many people aren’t sure what level of instruction to give, I’m on the side that says not to make assumptions about what readers know and leave nothing to chance." I’ve heard Paula say the same thing in her dessert cookbook. Maybe Paula cooks her pork chops in the oven, uncovered, but the recipe does not say.

Since it baked for an hour and a half, and I had the fan going, the smells were going outside. The dogs were going wild, looking in all the windows, running back and forth from one end of the kitchen to the other. Here are some pictures of them caught in the act. Girl-dog was on her best behavior because she knows she must sit before she gets any treats. Tigger was just plain nosy. I gave them a taste, Girl-dog liked the sauce.

No comments: