Monday, March 20, 2006

Individual Vidalia Onions

Cooking with Rachael and Friends

Last night I made cabbage rolls. I thought I'd found the recipe in Paula Deen's newest cookbook, but it wasn't in there. So I just made it myself. I used hamburger, diced onions, seasoned salt, pepper, ketchup, cheese cubes and rice, mixed it all up and wrapped it up in boiled cabbage leaves, then poured tomato soup, mixed with pulverized french onions over it. It was well received.

We had it with Paula Deen's individual vidalia onions. You cut the top off, cut them into four wedges, leaving them connected at the bottom, cut out the core and put a beef bullion cube in there and bits of butter in between the wedges. I wrapped it in heavy duty foil and baked them in the oven for an hour. They made a lot of broth, like a french onion soup. I didn't have Vidalias, as they are out of season, so used a white, sweet onion. It was OK, not everyone ate a lot. I want to try it one more time with Vidalia onions and put them on the grill.

No comments: