Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Slow Cooker Mu Shu Turkey

Last night I made a recipe I found in a slow cooker cookbook. It was called Mu Shu Turkey. I took two cans of plums, which I drained, rinsed and removed the pitts from. I pureed them in a food processor, then put them in the crockpot. To that I added a cup of orange juice, some finely chopped onions, a tablespoon of fresh ground ginger and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Then I sliced up a couple of turkey breasts into thin strips and put them on top of the plum sauce. I let them cook on low for 3 hours. At dinner time, I put some of the strips on a flour tortilla, added a little plum sauce, and some cole slaw mix, wrapped them up and served them. It was well received, everyone ate at least two. I made coleslaw with the rest of the mix, adding raisins, walnuts and Miracle Whip. That went over well too. If I make the mu shu turkey again, I'll add less orange juice and make them in the 5 quart cooker, rather than the 3 quart. I think they need to cook down more and spread out more, if that makes sense.

No comments: