Saturday, March 25, 2006

Vidalia Onion Casserole

Last night we had BBQed filets and I made the Vidalia Onion Casserole from Paula Deen’s "Lady & Sons, Too" cookbook. I didn’t have Ritz crackers so I used some stuffing mix instead (Pepperidge Farm, that has some seasonings in it). For the topping I mixed in a little of those fried onions (the kind that goes on green bean casserole) with the stuffing crumbs. I didn’t know how the casserole would go over. I made a small one just in case it bombed, with one big Texas 1015 onion, and about 1/3 of the other ingredients. It actually made quite a bit. I think if I’d made the whole thing, with four onions, it would’ve been way too much. Everyone liked it. Robin said it didn’t have an overpowering onion flavor. Two gave "it’s a keeper" comments, and even Don ate it. The stuffing mix gave it a Thanksgiving-ey taste that would go well with chicken. For dessert we had a Marie Callender’s cherry cobbler, the frozen kind that you bake at home. My only complaint about that was the box says it serves 8 but I’d say it’s more like 4-5.

No comments: