Sunday, February 19, 2006

Is it really better than...?

Going back to Paula Deen’s cookbook again, I made the "Is it really better than sex" cake for my birthday. My favorite cake is yellow cake with chocolate frosting. This recipe sounded good since it has yellow cake, with the coconut and pudding and pineapple. All the toppings made it really moist. I think the whipped cream kind of pushed it over the edge, but it was good. I liked one of the comments on Foodnetwork.com, that said the cake is NOT better than sex because there is no chocolate :-)

I know I haven’t been cooking as much from Rachael’s cookbook as when we first started. I haven’t abandoned it though. Last night I made homemade bagel dogs (I have a sourdough starter I use to make bagels with). I Rachaelized it by making a potato salad to go along with it. I liked the one that went with #13 BBQ chicken sammies, that had peppers and onions in it, and I hadn’t tried the one from #15 (with capers and celery), so I combined the recipes and put peppers, capers, and onions in it, plus some cajun seasoning. I like these potato salads with EVOO as side dishes better than potato salads with mayo. I feel less "guilty" eating them.

We brought some cake to my sister-in-law’s house, and she was in the middle of cooking a combination of Recipes #192 (Ricotta Pasta with Grape Tomatoes, Peas, and Basil), 193, and 194. She was just taking all of her favorite things from the different variations, and putting them into her own variation. It smelled good!

Later this week I’m going to make #30 (Paella Burgers and Spanish Fries). I may put off making #31 and #32, or make those some other time for myself, for lunch, since Don is not a soup person. They’d probably be good tummy-warming chow if this cold weather keeps up. Earlier in the week it was 82 and now it is 30 outside!

No comments: