Thursday, February 23, 2006

Recipe #30 - Paella Burgers and Spanish Fries with Pimiento Mayonnaise

This recipe sounded intriguing with all the flavors going on. I skipped the chorizo because after reading the label, well, sorry, I refuse to eat it (salivary glands, lymph nodes and cheeks), and I’d looked for "soyrizo" (veggie substitute that I’d seen awhile ago) as an alternative but couldn’t find it today at the store.

I put together the patties and made the mayo in the afternoon, that took about half an hour. It took another 20 minutes to cook everything. I love fries but don’t like store bought fries so I found some potato wedges instead. I also put some tomatoes on the burgers to increase our veggie intake a little more.

Everything smelled really good while it was cooking. I liked the taste of these burgers better than the smoked chicken patties. (This recipe had chopped onions instead of grated.) But overall, I was really disappointed. I had a spicy chicken sandwich from McDonald’s earlier in the week, and at least I would say that this recipe was better than that, but it’s not saying much.

Don’s comment was something along the lines of maybe I should throw the cookbook away.

I feel like I’ve got a dilemma going now. Do I plod through the other recipes in hopes of finding a few gems, or should I pick & choose the ones that sound like something we would like.

The dogs loved the burger. It was so huge I only ate half of mine. Tigger eats everything and wolfed his bite. Girl-dog is a picky eater and if she doesn’t like something, she will take it from me reluctantly and nibble at it. She snatched the burger and gulped it down, she liked it so much.

No comments: