Monday, February 27, 2006

Paula Deen's Old South Jelly Roll Cake

A few weeks ago, one of the grocery stores had Blue Bell ice cream on sale, 3 for $9.99. It was one of those rare times when hubby was with me at the store, and he wanted to take advantage of this bargain. So, he picked out 3 half gallons of ice cream…for the two of us. The first one we tried was some fudge brownie flavor that is over-the-top chocolate. I love chocolate but for whatever reason I don’t like chocolate ice cream. Don thought it was too much chocolate too. What to do with it all.

I had thought about making a pound cake and putting the ice cream on top, or making an ice cream pie and mixing in Cool Whip, but finally saw a recipe for a jelly roll cake. Instead of jelly as the filling, I softened the rest of the ice cream and made an ice cream roll.

I kind of made a big mess because I let it soften too much and as I was rolling it up, the filling piled up and oozed down the other end. (Thank goodness for Oxyclean! It got the chocolate ice cream out of the towel I used to roll everything up. )

The cake did the trick, though, and "diluted" some of the chocolate so the ice cream wasn’t as rich. YUM.

No comments: