Thursday, January 26, 2006

Bonus Recipe

Cooking with Rachael Ray

Last night we went to Olive Garden for dinner and when we got home I made dessert. It was a "Bonus Recipe" at the bottom of Recipe #23 for Boo's Vanilla Ice Cream with Chunky Peanut Butter Sauce and Gingersnaps." I could not find gingersnaps at the grocery store - I ask you, what kind of a country are we living in where we cannot easily purchase gingersnaps? I'll bet if Al Gore had gotten elected, Tipper would have seen to it that all stores carried gingersnaps, since they were her favorite dietary aide.

The only kind of chunky peanut butter I could find at the store was a new low-carb kind. The sauce didn't taste particularly peanut buttery and I wonder if it was due to this new peanut butter, which I'd never had before. But the sauce was good. I added half and half and honey and cinnamon. It kept getting thicker and thicker as I heated it and the only thing that finally made it pourable was adding hot water.

It was kind of a yawner taste-wise, which suprised me as I am a livelong peanut butter addict. I think I'll try it again sometime when I've scored gingersnaps and a more familiar kind of pb.

Last I heard from Diane yesterday, Don was home from the hospital and feeling nauseous. I hope he's feeling better now.

1 comment:

Christi said...

We love the peanut butter sauce in our family. Use regular peanut butter if you don't have chunky. I usually use the all-natural peanut butter (Teddie brand) but chunky Skippy has worked too. It's not going to be a pourable hot fudge type sauce. It's going to be spooned over the top. We've yet to try it with vanilla ice cream and gingersnaps. But it's great on chocolate chip or Reese's Peanut Butter cup ice cream!!