Thursday, January 19, 2006

Recipe #19 - Rosemary Corn Cakes with Prosciutto and Chicken Sausages with Hot and Sweet Peppers

I was planning to make recipe #18 tonight but I couldn’t find prosciutto and the ham I had as a substitute was still frozen. So went to Plan B. I almost didn’t find the chicken sausages for this recipe, I got them at the third store. I don’t think chicken sausage is big in this part of Texas. The big seller is bratwurst. The guy at the meat section of Walmart looked at me like I was a martian when I asked him if he had chicken sausage. The lady at Albertsons knew what I was talking about, but apologized that she didn’t carry them. I found some at Krogers. I passed by all the stores I visited on the way home so it wasn’t like I was on a mad search.

This recipe was pretty easy compared to the others. I finished in 25 minutes!

The sausages I ended up getting were Emeril’s chicken and apple. Rachael says to cook them in an inch of water but Emeril’s package said ¼" so I went with that. I think the pricking them with a fork helped get rid of some of the grease.

As I said earlier, I couldn’t find prosciutto, so I put bacon in the corn cakes instead. Mine turned out bigger than the recipe said because they expand on the griddle. They are also sort of fragile so the smaller size would be better, it would keep them from breaking when you flip them over.

I did find a cubanelle pepper! Don even ate them! He said they tasted more like bell pepper than a chile pepper. So far a lot of the recipes have had meat and carbohydrates but no veggies.

This is an easy dinner to throw together when you are tired. The corn cakes were good with honey but kind of dry. I took a bite with some of the sausage and it tasted like a corn dog. I think they would go well with kielbasa type sausage too, which is easier to find.

This is definitely not a "gourmet" type meal but perfect on a night when you want to cook but are feeling lazy.

No comments: