Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Recipe #7 - Smoky Chipotle Mac-N-Cheese with Tomato and Chorizo

I still felt like I was in "Beat the Clock" mode, challenging myself to prepare dinner in 30 minutes. Of course, while I was cooking I had to answer my phone (work-related call) and then my neighbor came by for a moment. I still managed to finish in something like 35 minutes. It went a little faster this time because the other recipe was so similar, plus I pulled out more ingredients all at once.

Hubby liked this one more than the last mac-n-cheese. He added black olives to his and I thought it made a big improvement too. He still didn’t think this was a "keeper." I don’t think I had enough macaroni so it was more like a casserole but the flavors were good. Very spicy, and the chipotle was not overpowering, I was surprised. (In the photo, I picked a bowl that was too big so it looks like there is hardly any food in it, I just wanted something fancier than Corelle to put it in.)

Have you ever read the ingredients in chorizo? I think it’s one of the things that is better not knowing. I had a choice of beef or pork but they were basically the same: Pork/Beef (salivary glands, lymph nodes), fat (cheeks), chorizo seasoning, paprika, salt, spices, sodium nitrite. It was very greasy cooking it up and I don’t think you need to add EVOO to the pan along with it.

1 comment:

Matt Brown said...

This doesn't look like much more than glorified goulash. I have Rachael's book - you're certainly brave to tackle all the dishes.