Sunday, January 15, 2006

Recipe #14 - Fiery Hot Texas T-Bones with Chipotle Smashed Potatoes


I didn't buy a t-bone because they looked old and yucky (and the date was "buy by 1/15" today and it was grey around the edges) and a different kind of steak (sirloin) looked fresher. They cut the meat weird here too, everything is thin. The t-bone looked like it would be dry because it was so thin.

Since Don doesn’t like peppers, I didn’t make the hot & sweet pepper saute. I cooked the steak in my Foreman grill, then cooked the leftover cauliflower in the pan "drippings."

Don’s comment was "Do you like this?" as in "I don’t much care for this, do you?" I said "it’s not bad but it’s not that good either." I think part of my reaction is that I’m not that much of a meat & potatoes person. And for Don, if he has smashed potatoes, he wants gravy, and he didn’t want to put the drippings on his potatoes as gravy.

The "fiery hot" description fit, though, the chipotle made everything really spicy, which I like. The potatoes were OK, I put more bacon in it and also some milk because they looked too dry.

I’m anxious to find a recipe where our reaction is "This is great!" I’m enjoying trying different meals that I probably wouldn’t ordinarily make, though.

For dessert, I made an "Earthquake Cake" from Paula Deen’s "The Lady & Sons Just Desserts," that Debbie gave me for Christmas. It’s a German chocolate cake, with coconut and pecans on the bottom of the pan, and a cream cheese concoction spread on top that bakes in. This one was a keeper!!!

BTW, it's hard taking photos of food! I have more admiration now for people who get pictures that look good enough to eat. By the time I'm done cooking, I don't have the patience to "style" anything or clean up smudges or crumbs on the plate.

No comments: