Saturday, January 14, 2006

Recipe #13 - Saucy BBQ Chicken Sammies with Pepper and Scallion Potato Salad

I’m wondering how many little jars of this & that I will have in the next month or so. I already have half a round of gouda that I doubt I’ll finish, and now I have an open can of tomato paste and a jar of hot pepper rings (although if I remember I will put them in sandwiches). Fortunately I was able to use the same can of chicken broth for both mac-n-cheese recipes and the sammies tonight.

I was watching the episode on TV last night for Recipe #15 (Super Tuscan Burgers) and Rachael offered lots of suggestions for substitutes: ground beef for the pork & veal combination, balsamic vinegar for the red wine, and scallions or chives for the red onion. Although I want to stick to the recipes, I think I will end up doing some substitutions in order to avoid accumulating too many ingredients in the fridge.

I am not a very speedy cook so it took me about 45 minutes tonight. I’m also not used to having so many pots and pans on the stove going all at once. Maybe I will get the hang of it after awhile. My problem is that I tend to forget what is going on in one pan (as far as not cooking it too long) while something else is going.

I didn’t buy a red pepper for the potato salad because Don doesn’t eat them, plus they are $2 each right now at the store, it didn’t seem worth the trouble. He ended up smashing his potatoes up and putting the chicken on top. I had some leftover rolls so I made mini open-faced sandwiches with mine. One thing about these 30-minute meals is that the flavors don’t always have time to meld together, but that allows the individual tastes to jump out. I liked the sauce but I had halved the recipe and I think it would’ve worked better if I’d made the whole recipe for the sauce even with half the chicken. I’d give this one a 7. While I liked it, I wouldn’t add it to my list of keepers.

There sure were a lot of pots & pans for just a sandwich and potato salad. There wasn’t as much mess (compared to the greasy chorizo) so fortunately it didn’t take long to clean everything up.

1 comment:

Christi said...

instead of following the recipes in order, why not find another recipe that uses, say smoked gouda to use later that week? Then you won't be throwing away ingredients.

Try the boxes of chicken/beef/veggie stock instead of the cans of broth. They keep in the fridge for 7-10 after opened and have more flavor than broth. Makes a big difference!

I don't find Rachael's recipes that intimidating. She cooks like my mom does. So I'm used to a pantry full of staples. HTH! Enjoying reading your take on recipes that we're making.