Friday, January 20, 2006

Recipe #18 - Turkey Saltimbocca Roll-ups, Mushroom and White Bean Ragout, and Spinach with Pancetta and Onions

I kind of cheated as far as the "30 minute" thing goes, by doing some of the prep for this meal ahead of time. I assembled the roll-ups (using chicken instead of turkey and ham instead of prosciutto, since I couldn’t find it) earlier in the day so all I had to do was throw them in the pan later. Even with the prep, it took me about 45 minutes to finish.

This was another recipe that left the kitchen strewn with pots and pans.

I like garlic but thought there was too much in the mushroom and white bean ragout. If I ever make this again I think I will just saute the mushrooms and add them to the sauce for the roll-ups. I liked the spinach. It doesn’t seem like Rachael has lots of veggie side dishes in her recipes, so this was a bonus and easy to prepare. The roll-ups were OK but once again, too strong a flavor (from the poultry seasoning) so next time I would tone it down.

It turned out to look really fancy, as Rachael says, "Perfect for entertaining."

Don had some of his roll-up leftover so we gave a few bites to the "taste testers" aka "friends of Isaboo" aka our neighbor dogs. They gave it an "Arf-o" and seemed to really like it. If they sit after they take a bite, then that seems to mean they like it and want more, as opposed to wandering off after eating something. Don said something about the dogs gave it a higher rating than the humans.


Since I had to scrub my kitchen clean again (grease all over from pan frying the roll-ups), I took a picture, which is below.

I’m ready for another ooey-gooey simple Paula Deen recipe.


No comments: