Friday, January 27, 2006

Recipe #23 - Boo’s Smoky Chicken Patties on Buttered Toast Plus Bonus Recipe

I didn’t time myself but I don’t think it took more than half an hour to prepare this. I made the patties earlier in the day because I ground my own chicken. Now that I have time to do it, I like it better than buying ground meats at the store. If you do it yourself, you have more control over the cleanliness and also the unwanted bits of bone and unknown chewy parts going into the ground meat.

I cooked them on my Foreman Grill (I love that thing! My Mom gave it to us and at first I was skeptical but I use it for lots of things like grilled sandwiches and quesadillas), and when I went to take them off, I was worried that they would have a rubbery texture. They turned out to be juicy and not rubbery at all. I liked the texture better than most chicken breast sandwiches you get at fast food restaurants. We put provolone cheese and tomatoes on ours too. Rachael seems to like that McCormick’s Montreal Steak seasoning but I’m not wild about it. I think I would like this recipe better if I put different spices in the chicken patties.

The dessert was yummy. I had the same problem Debbie did, with the sauce getting
hard as it cooked. I used Jif extra crunchy peanut butter. I ended up adding several splashes of milk until I got it to the right consistency. I did try a splash of water too but didn’t like the color it turned the sauce. I found the gingersnaps at Walmart, they are "Sam’s Choice" and they have all natural ingredients, only butter, sugar, three kinds of ginger, and a few other things. No partially hydrogenated this-or-that. They have crystallized ginger in them and all the textures together (melted ice cream, crunchy cookie, chunky peanut butter sauce) were a good combination.

The neighborhood dogs got a taste test of the chicken patty and gingersnaps. They ate every bit of it. There isn't too much they don't like, though. Everything Rachael I've given them, they've devoured.

No comments: