Sunday, January 29, 2006

Recipe #24 - Salsa Stoup and Double-Decker Baked Quesadillas


I made this one last night. This recipe sounded simple (and it was) but it took me about 40 minutes to finish. I grated my own cheese (vs. pre-shredded), plus waited to put all the veggies in the pot after they were all chopped (since my stove doesn’t simmer very well, whatever I put in first would probably be burned by the time I finished chopping - I’m shopping for a heat diffuser!). Also, I baked the quesadillas for 10 minutes like the recipe called for, but they were not browned. So I ended up cranking up the broiler and finishing them off that way, which added a few minutes.

I had some leftover black bean stoup so what we ate was a bowl of half black bean stoup mixed with half salsa stoup. The two flavors mixed up really well. I also had some avocado that I sliced it and put in the quesadillas, and added a chunk to my bowl of stoup. It really "made" the dish, but I guess that’s sort of personal preference. Don thought the same thing, it wouldn’t have been as good without the avocado. I liked the double-decker part, it made the quesadilla more substantial than just adding more cheese.

I have a ton of salsa stoup left over, next I’ll make Recipe #25 (Taco Chili-Mac) with that.

No comments: